5 Worst Mistakes To Avoid when Painting Old Furniture
You know that today web space is filled with tutorials teaching us to renovate your old pieces of furniture to make something unique for your home or to sell it online. But the issues with those tutorials is that all of them look pretty easy to finish though within the reality everything appears to be much harder.
Everyone who has ever tried to renovate furniture knows that painting are often either perfect or an entire disaster, there are not any reminder grey here. So we came up with main five mistakes that you simply simply should avoid when browsing the step-by-step guide called “How to color a dresser” to make sure that you get the simplest result possible.
1. Sanding. If you’ve got checked several tutorials before found our article then you’ll know that tons of individuals claim that there’s no got to sand anything in the least . Furthermore, you’ll even find paints which covers say that they are doing not require a bit to be sanded. But if you read any professional literature or ask knowledgeable , you’ll hear the solution that sanding may be a must. Out tip is to use 150-grit sandpaper for all types of surfaces. But don’t be too zealous and don’t to gouge the surface.
2. Removing residue. After the sanding process is complete, confirm to wipe the surfaces with a tack cloth so as to get rid of any residue. Warning! Never use a towel for this purpose!
3. Priming. The sort of primer you select depends on the sort of surface you have; confirm to hunt for special primer if your furniture piece is formed of laminate furniture. to truly prime the piece, experts advise to use a mini foam roller. just in case your piece has any hard-to-reach places, don’t ditch a foam brush tool. confirm that you simply leave it drying for the specified amount of your time (the instructions are usually provided on the cover). After priming, sand away any drips with a 220-grit sanding block, and again don’t forget to wipe everything down with a tack cloth.
4. Painting. Rule number one- never paint with sick layers because they’re going to usually appear to be uneven and searching ugly. So, confirm that you simply apply very thin layers of paint and allow them to dry before applying the subsequent ones. The estimated time of drying for paints is six to eight hours. After you reach the specified color, sand everything again and a replacement tack cloth to finish .
5. Protection. and therefore the final point is to make sure that the paint remains intact because if you opt and visit Kijiji to shop for furniture then you would like to make sure they are doing not get damaged while being delivered to the receiver. So for cover purposes experts advise using Polycrylic water-based protectant in gloss but also apply it in very thin layers. To avoid any bubbles on the ultimate surface, confirm to use roller rather than a brush. And let everything dry for a minimum of 72 hours.